Safety begins with a reliable partner. The best proof of DEKRA’s decades-long commitment to motorsport is its engagement in the DTM. Here, focus is on the permanent improvement of the safety of people and material as well as the independent and neutral monitoring of the technical regulations.
- DEKRA was responsible for the technical approval in the predecessor series of the DTM – the DRM (German Racing Championship)
- When DEKRA then entered the DTM at the start of 1989. At that time, DEKRA employees were still deployed as licensed Technical Scrutineers (TSs) on behalf of the motorsport association ONS (Highest National Sport Commission, the predecessor organisation of the DMSB – the German Motorsport Association)
- Since the comeback of the new DTM as the German Touring Car Masters in 2000, the personnel deployment of DEKRA experts has been successively expanded and adapted to the requirements and technical developments
- In 2003, DEKRA becomes the “Official technical partner of the DTM” and is, as from 1989 to 1996, visibly represented again on the starting number of the vehicles
- From 2010 on, DEKRA Scrutineers are using an tactile 3D measuring device to simplify the measuring procedures
- To verify the correctness of thin-walled body parts, a 3D scanner was purchased in 2011 and is from that time on a part of the scrutineering
- In 2012, DEKRA assumes the complete operative implementation of the technical approval of the DTM and is, on behalf of and in close cooperation with the DMSB, responsible for compliance with the technical regulations
- In 2014, DEKRA acquires an articulated lorry trailer, which houses the workstations of the 7 DEKRA experts and the technical delegate of the DMSB. The trailer also houses a conference room. The entire measuring equipment of the DTM technical approval is transported in the rear store room
- Implementation of an augmented reality based test process in 2018
However, DEKRA’s responsibilities are not restricted to deployment on race weekends. Post-inspections after events as well as test drive monitoring and - not insignificantly - providing advice and technical support to the DMSB and the ITR in technical commissions and committees are also part of DEKRA’s engagement in the DTM.
Furthermore the cooperation between DEKRA and DTM goes far beyond this. In addition to its role as official technical partner, DEKRA is since 1989 series sponsor of the DTM and represents its logo on the starting number of all vehicles.